Eazy Foreign Languages

This blog is about German and French Language in Vijayawada. Articles, poems, songs and experiences of poolabala

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Medicos in love - 16

"I am  Mayilviḻi  మైల్విళి.  I am in fourth year. I am from Salem."  

"I  am Poṉmoḻi   పొన్మొళి  I am first year. I am from Chengalpattu." 

 "I am Ragini. I am local. I am  in the third year. "

They introduced themselves to Kanimozhi(కనిమొళి) another girl who came into their circle. They were pursuing medicine at Nungabakkam Government Medical college. They are pursuing their life at Mc Donald's. They sat in a cozy family room pursuing private pleasures. Kanimozhi shook hands with all the three and started introducing herself. Hardly had she said I am Kanimozhi when the friends stopped her. "Fair face needs no make up. Lily needs no gilding.  Kani needs no introduction." Said Ragini. "We know pretty well about you and  your magnanimity.  Mayilvili did not understand. She looked dazed. Ponmali placed the newspaper, showing the article on Kanimozhi.  Mayilviḻi read the article in TOI.


A heart-warming tale of friendship took everyone by  surprise. 

Kanimozhi, a student from Ambattur gave up a seat earmarked for her under the quota of ex-service men to her childhood friend Ponmali.  Visibly overwhelmed by Kanimozhi 's gesture  her childhood friend Ponmali said that it further tightened her family bonds. 

After reading the article Mayilvili said " Your friendship is not a story. it is history. Congratulations! your relationship created history. But how come you gave up your seat but still here in the same medical college?

Kanimozhi said " I was confident that I would get a seat in general quota because I have a NEET score is 620 out of 720. So don't take the newspaper article seriously. I am magnanimous. I have not given it to a stranger. I helped my friend. It is not great" 

Ragini was going to the counter to order pizza to ordered pizza. "Call the waiter!" said Kanmozhi.  "No, the waiter won't take order at the table, you order at the counter and they waiter will bring it to you. That is MC Donald's " replied Ragini. She went to counter and returned presently. (Presently - in a short time)

When Ragini returned Ponmoli was visibly upset  with Kanimozhi's words. Kanimozhi said "Ponni ! don't be emotional. People don't think it is great to help a childhood friend " Still Ponmali is very emotional. Then Kani  said " Yes take the newspaper article seriously , I am generous.. Ha hha hha.. I did something great!"saying so she laughed. It was the strangest and the funniest laugh like Seth Rogen.  All friends amused by the iconic laugh and declared that Kanimozhi was generous. 

 The newspaper article has betrayed my details. There is nothing to tell me about myself  so let me tell you about my place Ambattur.   It is one of 108 Shakthi Sthals in the country. The Amman temple (for the Hindu deity Durga) here is the fifty-first in the order, giving the locality the Tamil name "aimbaththu onraam oor"  meaning fifty-first temple village, which later transmuted as Ambattur. Ambattur is also a collaboration of 51 small towns.

It is my first outing ever since I joined medicine. said Kanimozhi and finished. 

The waiter brought the pizza. 

Ponmali said" Let me order coke. It is the best combo with Pizza."

Mayilviḻi said " Do you know what is the best combo with Pizza. It is beer."

Ponmali said " My god , I never had Beer!" 

Then what for are your waiting get beers 

That is the best way to lose the MBBS stress. That is what most students do.

Ponmoli: Do medical students drink?  

Everybody stared at her like a ghost. 

Ponmoli:  Adjusted her throat and said " I mean do girl students drink?

Myalvili : They drink like fish. What do you think about Ragini ?

Ponmali looked at Ragini, with a questioning looks. 

Ragini smiled and  confirm that she drinks by closing her eyes. She surprised them by pulling out four beer bottles one after one form the bag on the floor and putting them on the table. Except Ponmali  who was shocked all are surprised.  " But how come beer bottles in Mc Donald's?! asked Kanimozhi. Why Mc Donald's is not a temple. In Italy, France, Germany , Sweden, Greece everywhere beer is sold in Mc Donald's" said Ragini.

Except in India said Ponmali. 

That is why this back door entry' said Ragini. 

How ? exclaimed Ponmali. The beer is getting warmer drink while it is chill. Ragini started serving beer in polythene glasses. The beer pouring sound was amazing when she was pouring it into glasses. Then they hit the polythene glasses they clanged like crystal glasses. The sound took them by surprise. Myalvili stopped the music and put the cell back in her pocket. They had beer with pizza. The seniors Ragini and Myalvili enjoyed the beer perfectly. They were so relaxed. Ponmoli was shy and fearful. Kanimozhi's was not scared  but relaxed either.  

Ragini lit the cigaratte and offered to Myalvili. Ragini took the first puff she stretched her hand  to Ponmoli offering a fag" You like a fag? "Ponmoli scared her liquid eyes  without maturity you can not enjoy the life it goes over your head like the beer party.  Myalvili said " if you don't smoke it's okay but as people with similar backgrounds gel,  people with with similar habits can gel."  Ponni looked at her with disbelief. " Doctors marry doctors, actors marry actors, why? Learn the ways of the world. if you can not drink you don't fit into our company. Don't join us. We seniors drink" 

kanmozhi said " My father is a service man. He served at the border. He drinks. I have the habit of watching him drink. I have so much of stress. I am very much relaxed. I fit in. 

Ponmoli: My stress is too much. I don't know where do what. Everything is new. Dissection  hall torture,  terrible cadavers, poignant formalin smell causing nausea, add to this the table teacher's confusion.  I was unable to eat lunch.   Everything is new for months.  I don't know what I am doing until internal exams sat on my head. 19 subjects in the first year.  said Ponni who is apparently dizzy hanging with kick. First time I got relief. She laid her head on the table and slipped into sleep. 

Kanimozhi: I pity this poor soul. Middle class brahmin family girl. Ponni fell down twice in the dissection hall. I don't know how she is going to pick up courage. This study needs more guts than brains.  

Mayilviḻi: As time passes she will get used to the smell. She needs some senior's advice and guidance. I will take car of it.  Kani , now stop that academic nonsense in our private time. Ragini,  Tell me the story that amuses us.   

Ragini's phone rang. It is too 8.00 pm late let us move. My mother is calling. said Ragini and all friends got up. " Are there love stories to medicos?" asked Ponmoli.

They came out and walking to the bus stop. Somebody was following her from a distance. 

Why medicos are not from the other planet. They are human beings. They fall in love like others. In fact they are more love stories in medical college than in engineering college but they don't stand till the end of the studies. The medicos drop by themselves. said Mayilvili.

They came out ask Ragini she has more lovers around her. 

Kanimozhi : Naturally She is beautiful. 

Myalvili: off course, but she is a coquette. She wants suitors around her to satisfy her ego

Ragini : I wait and study. I want a man to be romantic.  

The bus came three friends got it and the bus moved. Ragini got an auto and left. 

                                                          *** 


Agastya kept staring at the auto until it became a dot. In fact  waited on Ragini out side the MC Donald's.  He was following her for two days.  He was following her before she entered MC Donald's. He once got into to eat with them but having peed in he discovered what was going on. He came with a hope to talk to her. His hopes are belied.  

Why did I wait ? he questioned himself.  

I hoped to get a chance to talk to her after  she parted from friends. He answered himself.

NO, I had the urge to see her. I was unable to sleep for two nights rocked by her thoughts

He rectified himself but not completely satisfied. 

NO, I am not rocked by her thoughts. I was dashed by her. I felt her big round firm breast.

Now Agastya is satisfied and walked like a robot on the road. 

At least I should have showed up and greeted her. At least I could have a hearty gaze of her beauty. Agastya was walking with heavy foot, and heavy heart. Suddenly his gloomy mind bloomed like a flower. A smile appeared on his sombre face. "It would have been a grave mistake had I greeted her. No girl likes her beer parties get noticed. Even parents pretend to have no knowledge of such activities of their children" He thought.  His heart became light. He thought of having beer. "When girls can have beer, why not boys? " he asked himself.  A smile bloomed on his lips.  He saw a bar on his left. His legs stopped. He first hesitated  but later walked into the bar. 

                                                              ***  

Senthil,  Aravan , Perumal  the three medicos  joined hands. They stood far behind Agastya and kept staring at him.  Their hands got tightened and their faces reddened. They looked into one another's face.  S.A.P.  Senthil, Aravan Perumal  - they named their group. 

Aravan first came into senses and said pointing to Agastya "He is Ragini's Aunt's son." How do you know? said Senthil and continued "You are a first year fool,  you are wet behind ears. I can't believe your words." Senthil raised his voice. Aravan got angry with Senthil's words. Before Aravan reacted Perumal said " You change any serious task into a comedy show with your arguments" and  pushed them a head. "It is not the time to fight. first let's get into the bar lest we should miss that new boy." He warned them. 

They walked into the bar and found Agastya placing order to the steward. Thee three sat at a corner table.  " Aravan was still hot and fuming. He was looking at Senthil seriously.  

Senthil: Stop glaring at me, You couldn't cut the mustered when Ragini challenged you.

Aravan : You too couldn't cut mustard when she challenged you. 

Senthil and Aravan were fighting Perumal placed the order to the steward and said " Aravan you are first year,  Senthil you are simply second year. I am the fourth year student,  I am her senior. When she doesn't care me, what she cares juniors like you?"   

Three beers arrived. The waiter filled the glasses  and placed potato chips. They lifted the glasses  and uttered "Cheers!" looking at Agastya. Agastya threw a glance at them. After the first sip Aravan said " You know my skills,  you don't know that I can go to any lengths if challenged."  Aravan is still harping on the same string. 

"Aravan, please! come out from the verbal clash with Senthil.  Tell me how you know that the boy is Ragini's aunt's son." said Perumal.  Ragini herself told me  that her mother was interested to give her to Aunt's son who came from Visakha. Probably the Vaisakha boy is here to spy on us."

The words fell in Agastya's ears. He became blissfully curious. His heart started long to listen more. Not beer, nor drugs can give such relief as good words. I am her aunt's son?! Has she watched me ?! These words can cool the hell! why not the heart! He looked at the sky , what he saw was not the rotund moon but the rotund face of  Ragini. The moon looked like Ragini. He remembered the soft touch of Ragini.  Oh! the moon is burning!  his conscience sighed. 

The suitor trio saw him curling with romance. Aravan said " I can tell you one more reason to believe that it is truth. Ragini is a Telugu girl and he is a Telugu boy. Perumal was convinced. Agastya paid the bill to the waiter and got up. He started walking. Heavens are showring soft moonlight on the earth. Agastya came out of the bar. He is walking

Why am I  so excitedAgastya questioned himself

She said I was her aunt's son. This is my place in her heart. 

He remembered the lines from Dry September written by American writer William Faulkner "Ah! the southern women speak only truth, nothing but truth!" Faulkner wrote about American Women but Agastya applied them to Indian women. Instantly his attention shifted to the boys. " I have over heard these boys. They are medicos. They must be in the same pursuit of Ragini. They are grudging and grumbling on each other and firing words like aimless riffles.  He had a premonition and suddenly looked back and found three shadows following him. He called the auto passing by and got in. 

Why are these guys following me? Who knows that those guys are speaking truth?

Let me think positive,  May be she likes me. I still have holidays. I'll get to the bottom of it. 

                                                              ***


It was 11 PM. Meenakshi kept the door open and was playing composing.  Agastya was startled by the scene but the tune touched his heart. He thought his mother would reprimand him. He was tense. Meenakshi looked formidable. Agastya stepped in tentatively. Meenakshi stopped playing the keyboard hearing the foot steps of her son. She turned her face and smiled at Agastya. Haven't you not sleep yet? asked Agastya. 

I think you like the tune, don't you? 

Agastya is more shocked than before. He stood like a statue. 

Shall I play it from the beginning? asked Meenakshi.

There was no answer form Agastya. 

"Come on,  let me give you supper." said Meenakshi and walked into the dining table.

Agastya walked behind the mother unconsciously like a somnambulist. 

Agastya did not like to eat at that time but ff he doesn't eat he has to give her the reason that further  exacerbates the situation. So, Agastya was silent. Meenakshi was served food. Agastya ate quietly. Agastya was unable to bear her silence.

Why don't you ask me?" Agastya. 

"Ask you what?"  said Meenakshi. 

" Why I am late?" said Agastya

"You are grown up, you are not a child to tell or take permission from mother" Meenakshi's voice quivered " You are a spoiled brat! You are unruly wandering in the nights" Her eyes became wet with tears.  Agastya finished eating quickly  the and tried to watch the feelings in mother's face. Meenakshi hid her face behind the mantle of her saree to avoid showing her moon like face eclipsed by gloom. She turned sideways touching her tears.  

Agastya went near his mother  "Mom my hostel warden in Visakha is very strict. If I go out for any reason in the night I must tell him and take permission. I did not do it here because you are my mother. I came to know that there is no difference between hostel and home"  Meenakshi was puzzled " Am I mistaken ? I am too rigid? Should I be flexible? After all he came here for holidays" She thought to herself and said " you can go anywhere but should be back by 7.00PM. Said Meenakshi.

Agastya: Mom , Neither I am a girl, nor Chennai is a village!"

Meenakshi: What do you mean? 

Agastya:  Mom now-a days girls are going home after 8.00 PM

Meenakshi:  Which girl is going tell me?

Agastya : Agastya braked his voice while his were pronouncing Ragi...

Meenakshi : When we were children my grandfather wanted children at 6.00 PM. We used to play between 5.00 and 6.00.  

Agastya: Mommy , Chennai is a big city 1189 square kilometres. It is not like your grand father's small place Tanjavur.  In your childhood days it was still smaller. In those people used to run families with a monthly salary of hundred rupees. If you want those things alright,  I sit at home and listen to your keyboard. He showed a sad face. Meenakshi's heart  relented by her son's words " Okay tell me and go wherever you want. She smiled and hugged her son Agastya.   He said " I will tell you and go. It is my promise" Hardly had he finished his words, his mother's hand left a rosy mark on his tender cheek.  It was all too sudden and unexpected slap. When Agastya said the word "Promisssss." the smell of alcohol touched her nostrils. She started crying " You have done  what I hated most. You have done exactly what your father had done and ruined himself and his family."  The deep-seated hatred came gushing out like tears of lava. 

Agastya never expected that his world could become topsy-turvy. He had the frustration of the cricket team that played stupendous game but pipped at the post. Tears swelled on his handsome face. " I never drank before nor it is my habit. You don't know what hell is boiling in my heart. what circumstances have pushed me to drink. He had Ragini and her suitors on his mind but Meenakshi gnomic truths of Emerson or Thoreau’s aphorisms or Blake's mysticism.  "What are those circumstances tell me" Meenakshi demanded. " You are asking something that no son can tell his mother." said Agastya  and went into his bedroom " tomorrow I will leave" he said and banged shut the door.


                                                         ***

It was still night when Agastya woke up. He got off the bed and looked around. His sprawling bedroom gilded with shining panels and their  geometric designs and forms pleased his eyes. The art déco soothed his mind. He stood in front of the mirror and saw  white cream on his cheek. He touched it, smelled it and tasted it It was butter. Surely his mother has come to his room when he slept. Later he was contemplative and slept in the wee hours. 

The next morning when Agastya opened his eyes the clock was showing 8.00. He went into the living room.   There was no trace of his mother.  He thought his mother was getting ready for the school. He got into the bathroom. He got dressed up and came into the living room.  He could not find his mother. He thought his mother had gone to school. He looked at his mother's bedroom. The door was firmly closed. He  opened the door and went in. He saw The long haired, lotus eyed, light footed, full breasted, kind hearted mother, the understated elegance (expressed in a subtle way) sleeping in bed.  

He call out " Mom, Mom, " she didn't twitch. He touched her  forehead and found that had high temperature.  Her phone received a message.  He saw the message from the Projector director of Vikram Estates. It was addressed to the Managing director of Vikram Estates"  Who is the managing Director of Vikram Estates? Why was that message sent to his mother?"  He browsed in the internet. He saw the name " Meenakshi" 

Agastya is frozen. The phone was ringing. Somebody was knocking at the door. 

                                              ***

Agastya took the phone into his hands. It was Angayar. The call was cut. The door knock stopped. Agastya noticed that Anagyar and his mother had conversation at 2.00 PM. " There must be something so important? what is it?" Thought Agastya. He heard the door knock. He rushed to the door and opened it. It was Angayar.  " Good morning" said Agastya with a smile. How is Meenakshi?" said Angayar. "She has a fever." replied Agastya. Angayar went into her room directly. She woke up Meena. Meena looked at Angayar and got some relief.  Amgayar told Agastya " Go, prepare coffee for your mother" Agastya looked dazed and stammered " I Don't know how to prepare coffee" Angayar glared at him and went into kitchen. She prepared coffee and brought to Meenakshi. She took tablets from her bag and offered them to Meenakshi. "After taking tablets with coffee Meenakshi said " Give Agastya Boost and cornflakes breakfast  he did not well, last night." Meenakshi went into bath. Angayar laughed at Agastya and went into the kitchen. 


 In forest green saree and fern green blouse Meenakshi entered the living room. The sun's rays slantly traverse through the large window glass and fall on the floor and furniture and fills the living room.  The living room walls shine with the golden light from the heaven.   With the pearl chain in her neck  and gold bangles  Meenakshi out shines the sun. 

Meena you take leave for today. I must go to school. just two days ago I used a leave. I have no classes in the afternoon. I will take permission and join you. said Angayar 

Agastya was staring at her.  she turned her head to him and said " Look boy! you are going somewhere, shall I drop you? "No, thanks, I will go after my mother is alright" said Agastya. "Don't mind such small things, We colleagues are there to look after her." Agastya look angrily and said "  Remember she has a son, I can look after my mother." He moved into balcony. Don't hurt him he is a very sensitive boy. He had not have a good sleep last night." Meenakshi pleaded Angayar.  Angayar laughed at Agastya. 

"You may start now, or else you will get late to the school.   I will get food from hotel for Agastya. Don't bother about me. I can not eat today. if you don't get permission"  added Menakshi. "No, no I will come and cook for your son." said Angayar.  Agastya was hearing everything from balcony. He came in like a rapid fire and said " I can cook and serve my mother. she will be alright and she will eat this afternoon. You too can come and eat" retorted Agastya. 

                                                                       ***

It was 1.00 Pm when Angayar kanne came to the Lotus apartment. When she entered Meenakshi's house. Meenakshi was as happy as lark playing tunes. "Where is your fever?" asked Angayar. flew away like a bird replied Agastya. Where is the food? She asked Agastya Agastya has over done the curries. Rice was under boiled. Angayar pitied him and his culenary skills. Later she cooked and served in no time.  After lunch Meenakshi and Angayar sat in the living room. Agastya sat opposite to them. Angayar has to speak so much with Meena. " We have to talk to each other, don't sit on our heads, go somewhere." 

Agastya quickly ran into his bedroom and changed into jeans and T shirt. You look like American who came out from the bond box. complimented Angayar. Meenakshi smiled. 

 Agastya said  going out " I will come as early as possible"

Angayar. "Please come as late as possible" Agastya smiled. 

Meena "Where are you going, tell me and go!" 

Angayar" Clean and bright clothes, American style. Are you going to America?"

"Cleanliness is next to godliness,  thievery is next to Americanness,

and we must not publicize that this country was made by a bunch of dirty crooks."

said Alan Daugan. I never go to America  said Agastya quoting  American poet and left.  His quick response left Meenakshi and Angayar dazed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment