Eazy Foreign Languages

This blog is about German and French Language in Vijayawada. Articles, poems, songs and experiences of poolabala

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Nevermore - 10 sonnets

Nevermore means that happens only once in life. It may never happen again in life. It is a kind of nostalgia ( regretful remembrance of the past). Nevermore is not a collection of poems. It is the collection of past experiences of the poet and common experience of all humans. 




   1. Summer evening walk

I walk'd with my friend Kishore on seashore

Listening to the sailors' sweet folklore

we stop at wakad stall on the beach

we walk hard and had a cup o' tea each


We watched the tides in the blue sea

 spilled on our clothes the boiling tea

the raging whirlwind howls in our ears

the sand particles stuck on our faces like spears


bits of papers and chocolate wrappers 

swirl  round and round like tiny choppers

the little girls thought it was a ghost

there was a commotion on the coast


A big turtle was washed to the shore

Such a turtle we haven't seen before



     2. O! Dynora!

How popular you were O! Dynora!

How sad it was we said Sayonara!

My father was your sole operator

You were house's chief decorator


You had on face shutters with key

Oh buddy ! how can I forget  thee

young and old , all  in the house

sat before you including the mouse


 Oh! the  new technology flow 

 came on your life as a death blow

you were once house hod name

the fame you won is still the same


from our eyes you are obsolete

but  you're still our heartbeat 


             3. O soul!


O soul!  This is thy last hour

Oh I could not believe

in  the spiritual power

I woke up when you're ready to leave


Only to sleep in the grave

You are the imperishable I

 to see you one must be brave

It's possible only with mind's eye


cuz, it's the immaterial part of humans

I lived with  material mind

and live like Roman among Romans

How can I you in my last hour find


In this last hour it is too late 

It is all written in my fate


         4.Love Stung


 Long ago when I was young

I went on a picnic during spring

A bevy of girls danced and sung

in the cool shade of trees near a spring


one of those,  a beautiful rose

in brilliant hues threw a look

Twisting her waist in a beautiful pose

That stuck my heart like a hook


I searched for her in every nook

Spending all my time like a bee

Wandering by the brook

I couldn’t tell my love, I agree


Oh! My juvenile fear failed me

I am now fifty a love stung bee.


     

           5. The House 

We always saw the house from distance

we never crossed it without assistance

Nobody has ever its door  knocked 

 for it's always with a padlock locked


The iron fence around is rusted 

the windows are broken and dusted

The garden is full of weeds over grown

the purple stemmed flowers often groan


The house was a terror 

the sight of it brought to mind horror 

It looked like an weird child crying

or some secret shadow spying


When I was young it looked paranormal

when I grew out of fears it looked normal



                6.   The Wind

O funnel ghost blowing from west to east

 Sweeping  the earth’s surface at the best 

your strong, jet speed waves create unrest 

oh uninvited guest, who can you arrest?


 Your jet streams often shift the course

  From north to south, what a gusty force

  You flow with across every town and city

   Destroying roofs and windows what a pity


   O funnel ghost you broke the glass window

   Of my house and followed me like a shadow

   When I sat in the garden you rattled the pages                                    

   of my books, tore them off,  turned outrageous


  Oh  hate your violent ways

  I want clam and ordinary days



       7. English poet 


O famed ancient English poet 

Writer of many a paragraph

Those who blew your trumpet

Haven’t read your paragraphs yet

 

Many a poem is a paragraph

Or a story without rhyme

The readers will certainly laugh

But people can’t spare time

 

To read everything you write

They don’t know how much you wrote

When the media declares outright

That you are great, all think it’s right


You might have written rubbish 

Poor Indians adore, cuz you are English


        8. R&B Yards

Forty years ago under leisure's rule

My childhood was celebrated

In  Pader primary school

which by tribal standards calibrated


postcards and telegrams life is primitive 

drama and cinema made it inquisitive

In those days machines were less

relatives and friends were countless


Sun or rain every evening we played

our faces our happiness displayed

we climbed hills brought the wood 

bough on bough  and  piled  good


In R& B Yards amid tar drums and piled wood

we rolled the drums of our childhood.  


         9. The Banyan Tree

 It is an amazing tree of gigantic size 

bigger than a hill that fills your  eyes

beside the playground its a lofty rise

Declared as Goddess by the old and wise


It spreads its branches to end of street

It sheds numerous leaves and ripen fruit 

All passers by certainly stop and greet 

the divine tree thriving with long hanging root


Over the tree I walked to school  everyday 

I picked the banyan bark when I have dismay

believed that the danger will be castaway

She sheltered me under her boughs on a rainy day 


It is the tree that I can not forget 

If I don't visit again I must regret



    10. The small town 

Should  I  visit the remote small town

Off course It symbolizes my childhood

One day I think I must go down

schools and shops sand, stone and wood


Every thing I see not the people sullen 

this is where my childhood steps had fallen

The rail track where I played

The paddy fields where I stayed


The house where we lived

The ground where I played

The office of  my father 

are so vague and me bother


If visit my memories nourish

They my childhood cherish 




2 comments:

  1. Nevermore! Sonnets written by Venkat Poolabala Sir emotionally touches our hearts,lingering in past memories,with simple yet beautiful words choosen from " La mer des mots "


    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermore ! The Sonnets written by Venkat Poolabala Sir, touch emotionally our hearts , lingering in the past memories, with simple yet beautiful words choosen from "La Mer des mots "

    ReplyDelete